Writing Fanfics

The Basics

Plot Development

Character Development

Dialogue

Sex Scenes

Writing the Fic

And finally...


Other sources


Kat's Meow

Writing the fic

  • Don’t over do it. I know this is hard to accept but the chances that your fic will win a Pulitzer Prize are slim to none. So relax. Write it in normal prose, not in some overblown version of Victorian melodrama (unless, of course, your fic IS set in the middle of a Victorian melodrama). Describe things as you see them - as you would want to have them described to you. If it is a dark night, just say so.

  • Don’t tell us everything Personally, I hate fics that drop all the information about a character in one fell swoop.
    “Prudence is 17 and is 5’6” with strawberry blonde hair. Her blue eyes are covered with glasses that are horn-rimmed. She is in grade 12 because she skipped a grade. There is a bruise on her knee because one of her four brothers – Paul, who was in college; Peter, who plays football; Phillip, who is at home and in the 4th grade and has pimples; and Popeye, which isn’t really his name, it’s a nickname - left a skateboard out and she fell over it…”

    It sounds like you regurgitated on a blank piece of paper. Really, who cares about that much detail? Just give me a few things about Prudence, then let me learn more about her as the story continues.

  • ”Clothing provided by Yves St. Laurent…” Along with the excessive description of a character, a big ‘no no’ is endless descriptions of clothes. It is nice to describe a character’s clothing quickly, perhaps paying special attention if the clothing has some significance to the plot, for example, bringing out the colour of a person’s eyes. Otherwise, going into a long description of everything that a character is wearing, down to their underwear, is wasteful filler.

    Writing the Fic Pet Peeves

    • Julie says:
      • RESEARCH YOUR STORY!!! If you have never been through it yourself, find someone who has. Search the 'net. Hit a library. "Suspension of disbelief can only take a reader so far; if facts are off, it's just too hard to get into the story. And don't say 'it's only fiction.' Good fiction is at least accurate in the concrete facts of life." Thanks Julie. I can't believe I didn't mention that one. (Doh!)

      • Pay attention to the action. "Try to imagine it happening in your head to see if it makes sense, but don't assume your readers are imagining the same thing. This can be hard to balance with the whole 'don't be overly descriptive and wordy' aspect, but it is important. If she heard JC's voice calling her from the hall, then suddenly he's looking into her eyes.... when'd he get in the room??? Or did she go out to find him?" (did she say JC? Augh! Someone from the dark side! LOL! Just kidding).


Got some more "pet peeves" for me? Just email 'em here