Writing Fanfics

The Basics

Plot Development

Character Development

Dialogue

Sex Scenes

Writing the Fic

And finally...


Other sources


Kat's Meow

Sex Scenes

  • BORING! Describing your sex scenes as: “and then she panted yes, and he stuck it in. They pumped together and then it was magic,” is dull. Even if you haven’t ever had sex, try and make it a little more interesting and less like you are doing laundry.

  • Try not to make your dialogue sound like cheap porn. Sex isn’t all “oh baby! Harder, harder!” Try and make it sound romantic or passionate or just plain naughty, but don’t make it sound like you just copied down, word for word, the dialogue from that copy of “Sorority Girls and Fraternity Boys” you have hidden under your bed.

  • How do you keep that monster in your pants?! For some reason almost every fic I have ever read describes the Boys as having ten-inch penises. While it may be a nice thought, it isn’t realistic. The average male penis is 5 to 6 inches. Accept it. Deal with it. Move on.

  • Mutual orgasms are few and far between. I know it sounds romantic and all, but it is a rarity so don’t overuse it in your fics. Same goes for multiple orgasms.

  • Anal Sex: If you must go the “backdoor” way, remember: men have prostates and can enjoy anal sex (as a bottom). Women don’t have prostates and while an orgasm is possible, it is rare through penetration alone. And no matter who is involved lubrication is a must! Skip the condoms if you will (I don't recommend it), but not the lubrication.

  • Safe sex or not to safe sex? Well, that really is your choice, but keep in mind that there are a lot of sexually transmitted diseases out there and that your fic may be read by an impressionable person. You don’t have to make a big deal about it – maybe mention a condom here or there – but it never hurts to remind your reader that safer is better. Oh, and yes, you can still get pregnant if you use a condom. They aren’t perfect after all, and can break. So even if a pregnancy is important to your plot it doesn’t mean that you have to avoid condom usage.

    Sex Scene Pet Peeves

    • From Julie:
      • Sex may be a beautiful thing, but it is also messy, dirty and stinky. That goes doubly for anal sex. "You don't need to draw attention to it, but don't pretend it isn't true in your story because your characters are just THAT special, either."

    • Kelly points out:
      • Being descriptive is great, but please don't have the characters doing the physically impossible! For example, if a woman is sitting between a man's legs, leaning straight back against his chest, he CANNOT attach his mouth to her breast! "Well, if his neck is a foot long and he has no bones in it, maybe."


      Got some more "pet peeves" for me? Just email 'em here